Young people in the defined vulnerable groups are eligible for a bursary of up to £1,200 a year, which equates to approximately £30 per week during term time.
The defined vulnerable groups are students who are:
- In care
- Care leavers
- Receiving Income Support or Universal Credit (UC) because they are financially supporting themselves or financially supporting themselves and someone who is dependent on them and living with them such as a child or partner
- Receiving Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments in their own right as well as Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit in their own right
This fund is used to assist students who may benefit from financial assistance to complete their course. Any such contributions will only be made towards costs incurred for attending college. (The 16-19 bursary does not provide childcare funding - please refer to the Care to Learn website for under-20 childcare funding.) The bursary fund is limited and allocations will be based on financial need. Financial assistance will mainly be in the form of weekly credits on students’ ID cards for the purchase of meals and resources in college, with the possibility of some additional cash payments. Further assistance may be available for participation in trips and visits, the payment of exam re-sits or the purchases of other resources required for college activities. Allocations will not be made until a student is enrolled and achieves 100% attendance.
The new bus pass that gives 16-18 year olds the freedom to travel, work and learn. Our pass is the new bus pass for 16-18 year olds. For a one-off £10 administration fee, it unlocks free bus travel right across Greater Manchester – meaning that young people could unlock potential savings of over £500.
Create an account to order your card online at ourpass.co.uk. You can order now and will need the following:
- An email address
- A passport-style photo to upload, which will be printed on your card
- Proof that you live in Greater Manchester
- Proof of your date of birth
- A valid payment card (for the £10 administration charge)
Our Pass is a UK first, a two year pilot that started in September 2019. Led by Mayor Burnham and the Greater Manchester Combined Authority, with support from Transport from Greater Manchester, it has been developed with the Greater Manchester Youth Combined Authority and a host of other youth organisations, groups, schools and colleges. It has been designed to support young people at a crucial point in their lives. The potential for making Our Pass permanent will be reviewed over the course of the pilot. FAQs available at ourpass.co.uk.
Download the application form here