What is A level Geography?
Geography involves the study of people, places and the interactions that take place between them in a range of environments and at a range of scales.
Why study this course?
By studying geography you will develop a genuine in-depth understanding of the world we live in today and the key global, national and local issues affecting our society. Geography is also a subject that develops a wide-range of analytical skills that are highly sought after by employers.
What can you expect from A level Geography?
You will develop an in-depth understanding of classic physical geography topics such as tectonics and glaciation and human geography topics including globalisation, regeneration and migration. Contemporary critical issues are explored in the subject including water and energy security, the role of superpowers and globally-interconnected societies. A minimum of four days of field work will be completed by all students; this is when data is collected for independent investigation coursework.
How is the course assessed?
Written examinations account for 80% of the overall grade, with coursework accounting for the remaining 20%.
Who is this course for?
Geography complements all subjects because of the wide range of topics and skills that are developed through the 2-year course. If you have genuine curiosity about the world we live in, then geography is for you!
5 GCSEs at grades 4 – 9, across four separate subjects, to include GCSE Mathematics and/or English/English Language.
"By covering various vital global issues, A level geography is one of the most relevant and interesting subjects to study, allowing you to develop essential transferable skills such as critical thinking and analysis, along with academic writing. It can also be partnered with a combination of other A level subjects, ranging from the sciences and social sciences, to modern foreign languages, making it a versatile and valuable subject to study."
what will I study?TECTONIC PROCESSES AND HAZARDS: the cause, impact and management of earthquakes, volcanoes and tsunami around the world, using contemporary case detail and complemented by the optional field trip to Iceland in the second year of study. WATER CYCLE AND WATER INSECURITY: the unequal distribution of water around the world and why this leads to concerns over human development, health and possible conflict. CARBON CYCLE AND ENERGY SECURITY: the renewable and non-renewable energy debate, looking at non-conventional sources and how the geo-political issues around supply and power are managed. CLIMATE CHANGE FUTURES: understanding the causes of natural and anthropogenic climate change and how man is tackling the challenges we face across the world to secure a sustainable future. COASTAL LANDSCAPES AND CHANGE: the processes that form coasts and how man works with the natural world to manage coastal environments for all its stakeholders. GLOBALISATION: how globalisation is rapidly changing all aspects of our world – socially, economically, environmentally and politically and who this benefits. SUPERPOWERS: who are today’s superpowers, who were powers of the past and who will be the geo-political dominant forces in the future? REGENERATING PLACES: why urban and rural areas need regenerating and understanding how contrasting areas have regenerated and what the benefits are. MIGRATION, IDENTITY AND SOVEREIGNTY: what migration is and why it has happened both in the past and continues today and what the implications are for the source and host nations in terms of costs, benefits, identity and sovereignty.
additional activities with this subjectA minimum of four days of compulsory field work takes place over the two year course. Previously locations used have included Keswick, Malham, and the Manchester and Salford area. An optional four day trip to Iceland will also be available, which is highly recommended to complement the tectonic topic covered. Strong links exist with local Universities and guest speakers and local experts attend lessons at regular points during the year. Currently a number of geography students are involved with the Revealing the Roch project and help in the public information office on a voluntary basis. In addition students can become members of the Manchester Geographical Association and attend monthly evening lectures at Manchester University on relevant topics delivered by academic and business experts.
APPLY FOR THIS COURSE
For September 2021GO! GO! GO!
You may also like