Consultation on the expansion of Rochdale Sixth Form College premises
Thursday 15th July – Thursday 12th August 2021
The Altus Education Partnership Trustees and the Local Governing Body for Rochdale Sixth Form College (RSFC) are in consultation on a proposed expansion of the college premises to increase student numbers.
Rochdale Sixth Form College have made a capital funding application to the Department for Education Post-16 Capacity Fund. As part of this application we are consulting with students, staff, parents, and the local community.
What is the Department for Education Post-16 Capacity Fund?
The Post-16 Capacity Fund is a new £83 million fund with three core objectives:
- to provide additional capacity in 16-19 providers, where there is due to be a demographic increase in learners and there is not enough existing capacity to accommodate that increase;
- to ensure that provision to be delivered through the additional space developed meets local and national skills requirements and is reflective of learner demand; and
- to do so in the most efficient and sustainable way possible, to ensure value for money for Government investment, and to support the target set by Government for the UK to bring all greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2050.
The Post-16 Capacity Fund has very clear eligibility guidance. Further information about the Post-16 Capacity Fund can be found here.
A note from Richard Ronksley, Principal/ CEO.
The Post-16 Capacity Fund is an exciting opportunity for RSFC to increase classroom accommodation within the existing college site.
Within the bid RSFC have submitted statistical evidence to show that the proposed expansion of college premises is to accommodate the demographic growth in the borough of Rochdale. The proposal is not to increase our market share. The evidence is based on demographic data from the Office of National Statistics (ONS), factors such as the creation of any additional housing in the borough and patterns of RSFC’s historic student intake have not been included.
As part of the bid we have consulted with Lea Hough to design plans for the proposed new build, which are below:
Illustration 1: Drawing outlines the current location of RSFC and the red keyline shows the proposed site of the new classroom build.*
Illustration 2: Highlights the access points and the overall layout of the ground floor.*
The bid has now been submitted, but as part of the business case we need the comments of our stakeholders. I can assure you that if we receive the funding a full consultation and planning permission process will be followed.
We expect to receive a final decision on the funding application in Autumn 2021.
* Please note that these are initial drawings and are subject to full review is RSFC is successful.
The consultation will run from Thursday 15th July to Thursday 12th August, 12pm (Noon) inclusive.
You can express your opinions by:
- Writing to: Post-16 Capacity Fund Consultations
Rochdale Sixth Form College, College Road, Rochdale, OL12 6HY